Ana gave me a compound miter saw for Christmas, so I can now attempt a few projects around the house like crown molding.  I’ve never really been very good at building things, but I suspect that’s mostly because I: 1) just don’t try to often and 2) never have the appropriate tools. So, needless to say, thus begins what should be an interesting little adventure.

Yesterday I discoved that before I can actually properly use the new saw I need to mount it to a table/workbench.  Well I don’t have a suitable table.  Much to my dismay I learned that the solution to this is to… build one.  So that’s what I did tonight – I built the frame of what is a very simple yet sturdy work bench.   All that’s left is the table top and shelf and it’ll be ready to accept the saw and other tools.  I was really surprised that it’s actually looking and feeling like a real, sturdy workbench!

I used this website as a guide, and will be making a few additions such as built-in electrical power with a switch to turn off the whole table.

6 thoughts on “Project

  1. I like the category “wood”. I will definately be keeping up on that one. Hopefully there will never be a post that combines “wood” and “hospital”.


  2. I’m really hoping that the electrical switch I add will help reduce the likelihood of wood+hospital.

    Maybe I should also install a call button of some sort so I can press it and Ana can get the car ready upstairs in the case of an accident.


  3. Miter saw is one of my most used tools. Problem is, I use it everywhere (inside/outside), so I just use an old Black/Decker portable workbench and mount it on that when I need it. Then hang it on the wall when not in use, out of the way.

    Personally, I hate the bottom shelf on workbenches, it only bruises my shins. I left the space under my workbench open, it’s handy to keep the shopvac under there for cleanup.


  4. I thought about the shin problem as I was putting it together. But, like all new things I try, I made sure to not deviate from the directions so I could at least prove to myself I could get it made without screwing it up before improvising.

    I think I’ll probably end up making at least one more of these for the basement, so I may go the shelf-less route on that one.


Comments are closed.