For Christmas, Ana gave me a brand new Canon 7D to replace my trusty, but aging 30D. I can’t believe I’ve had that 30D for four and a half years!
Now that I’ve had a whopping 24 hours to play with it, I have to say that it’s a larger and more impressive jump than I expected. So far the things that I really like about it are, in no particular order:
- 100% viewfiender – it makes looking through the 30D feel like I’m looking through a straw.
- Higher resolution – 18MP versus 8MP on the 30D
- 19 Point Autofocus – wow it’s fast and sensitive in low light
- Autofocus Zones
- The M-fn button
- LCD overlay in the viewfinder is really, really nice
- Built-in flash acts as a Speedlite Master – hello wireless flash!
I flipped on video recording for about a minute, and quickly came to the conclusion that I’ll continue using my HD camcorder for most things (camera shake!).
I’ll report back in a week or so with further impressions.